Shwethalyaung and Kyaikpun Buddha

Home   Contact   Deutsch
Airport
Adventure Travel
    Andaman Sea
    Mountains
Ayeyarwady River   
    Irrawaddy River
Andaman Sea
Bagan
Bago
Beach
Bogyoke Market
Burma
Buddhism
in Myanmar

Chin
Dawai - Tavoy

Golden Triangle
Himalaya
Holiday
Inle Lake
Islands
Kawthaung
Kayan or Padaung
Kyaiktyio - golden rock
Kyaukse - elephant
     dance

Mandalay

Map
Mawlamyine-Moulmein
Mogok - Ruby Mines
Monastery
Monywa
Mrauk U

Myanmar Thailand
Mergui or Myeik
Naga

Nats
Naypyidaw
Pagoda

People
Pin Oo Lwin - Maymyo
Popa Mountain
Putao and
    northern Myanmar
Pyi - Prome - Pyay
Rivers of Myanmar
Shan
Sittwe
Thaton
Travelogues
Vacation
Videos

Visa
Weather
Yangon


GENERAL

Agriculture
Airlines
Apartments
Art
Arts and Crafts
Betel
Car Myanmar
Colonial Times
Construction
Crab Rangoon
Dance
E-Books
Entertainment
Exotic Flowers
Fashion

Festivals

   Thingyan
Forwarding
Girl
Golf

Handicraft

History
Golden Myanmar

Hotels
Insurance Travel
Jade
     Jade Jewelry
Jewelry
Lacquer Ware

Living
Marine Products
Meditation
Medicine Traditional
Model Girls

Money
Music
Music Classic

Music Video
Mudras

Nightlife
News
Pearls
Photo Gallery
Pottery
Precious Stones
Products
Rattan Wicker
Real Estate
Restaurants
Ruby
Scuba Diving
Shopping
Shipping
Silk
Snake
Teak
Women

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Shwethalyaung and Kyaikpun Buddha

 

The Shwethalyaung and Kyaikpun Buddha compound is a few minutes before entering Bago to the northwest of the Kayani Sima is the temple housing the Shwethalyaung Buddha, one of the largest and most lifelike images. It depict Gaudama Buddha on the eve of His entry into ‘ Nirvana’.

Built in A.D. 994 by King Migadippa. It is 180 feet (55 meters) long and 52 feet (16 meters) high. Falling into a state of neglect and disrepair for nearly five centuries, it was repaired by King Dhammazedi and maintained by King Bayintnaung until Bago was completely destroyed in 1757.

The whole was covered by the dense forest and disappeared for 125 years. In 1881 it was unearthed by a contractor who was building the Yangon - Bago railway. The jungle and undergrowth were cleared away and an iron open sided ‘tazaung (pavilion) was erected over the structure in 1906.

The shrine is approached along a ‘zaung dan’ (covered stairway) lined with many stalls. Passing through a glass-mosaic hall, shining and all glitter, climbing a flight of steps guarded by two striking ‘ nagas’ (mythological serpents) and arriving in His presence - an enormous white reclining figure, garbed in a gilded robe, His head resting on a collection of gem-encrusted caskets and wearing a serene smile.

The dimension of the whole is posted on the shown board and the soles of His feet have been intricately carved to show the 108 distinguished marks of a Buddha on both soles this represents the three worlds.

There are also glass panels painted to show scenes from His live on the wall below the head. They have been wrought in enamel and mosaic, uardian ‘nats ‘ flank each side and the immediate vicinity is surrounded by attractive vegetation and flora.   
Shwethalyaung Buddah reclining Bago Myanmar
Shwethalyaung Buddha reclining and footprint at Bago.
Shwethalyaung Buddah footprint Bago Myanmar

Shwethalyaung Buddah head reclining Bago Myanmar

The 108 distinguishing marks are 59 indicating the inanimate world (Okassalawka), 21 indicating the animate world (Sattalawka) and 28 indicating the world of the conditioned (Sankharalawka). The essence here is that he is greater than the 3 worlds. These marks became apparent as soon as he was born.

Related posts:

Bagan Temples

Shwedagon Buddha Mandalay Buddha Casting Mrauk U Buddha


The Kyaikpun Buddha - Four 30 meter tall sitting Buddha figures

 

Kyaikpun Buddha - Four 30 meter tall sitting Buddha figures

 



View Larger Map

About three km before Bago, some 200 meters on a side road leading from the main road stand the Kyaikpun.

Four, thirty meter high, sitting statues of Konagamana, Kakusandha, Kassapa and Gautama placed back to back against a large, square pillar. Built in 1476 under King Dhammazedi. According to legend, four sisters who took part in building this pagoda made a pact that if one of them should marry, one of the figures would fall

 

off. People who believe this were sure that Kassapa Buddha collapsed because one of the sisters got married. Coming back to the main road and proceeding to Bago, the sparse, scattered huts by the roadside become continuous, the communities more populous, the houses larger, grander, with more brick buildings forming the suburban area and we finally cross the bridge to the east of the river and enter the town.

The monument gets renovated from time to time since the Myanmar people don't know how to isolate the masonry orderly.

Old Portuguese Church about 17. Century
Old Portuguese Church at Syriam 17 Century
 

The Great Shwethalyaung and Kyaikpun Buddha

 
 
 

 

Enter your search terms Submit search form
 
Web www.allmyanmar.com
 
 
   
                                             Copyright by www.allmyanmar.com